Tragedy or Farce?

Monday, January 17, 2011

007

I wish I had a British accent, or at least an Irish accent. Oscar Wilde was Irish. J.M. Barrie was Scottish, though, and he was about five times cooler, but not as witty. 
Oscar Wilde is remembered for his impeccable wit---he had something funny to say, even when there was nothing funny to talk about---but J.M. Barrie, in my opinion a better playwright, is remembered for his timeless character Peter Pan. But, of course, few equate Barrie with Pan---they seem to think that Disney invented Peter Pan. It's quite sad, actually...
But I have promised not to whine on this blog! Perhaps ramble, but never whine. I must, for the sake of my fellow man, change the subject. 
The new subject? Well, there is no new subject. Why do we need a subject? Is it truly necessarily ramble about something--when you can ramble about nothing at all. That's my new philosophy. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I get really excited about something, I pick up a Scottish accent. My mother thinks it's hilarious.

February 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of british accent do you want? Welsh? Scottish? Northern Irish? English? Then what type of that accent? North or South Welsh? Glasgow or Edinborough? Belfast or Dublin? London (east or west?) or Liverpool? You know Britain is an island not a country and every county (like a state but older)and most towns within that county have their own accent and dialect. Personally I prefer Rudyard Kipling over J.M. Barry and Oscar Wilde, though Lewis Carroll is another good one (if we are only talking about British modern classics). Be specific in your rambling.
The Lonely Recluse.

March 1, 2011 at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home